The investigating officer is having “a great deal of difficulty understanding the prosecution’s theory” of case. The prosecutor also revealed that he was unsure if the Iraqi witnesses would testify if LCpl Sharratt was sent to trial. LCpl Sharratt is accused of murdering three men in Haditha. The investigating officer, LtCol Ware, will make his recommendations to LtGen Mattis. The recommendations can include sending the murder charges to a general court-martial (felony court); sending some other charges to a special court-martial (misdemeanor court); or to handle the matter administratively (reprimand as recommended in Capt Stone’s investigation).
To review the current prosecution:
- The Iraqi witnesses would not testify at a trial, depriving LCpl Sharratt of his constitutional to be confronted with witnesses against him
- NCIS interviewed witnesses for one hour
- LCpl Sharratt passed the polygraph
- NCIS did not record the interviews
- NCIS lost the suitcase containing Jordanian passports and AK-47 rifles seized at the scene
LtCol Ware’s report should be filed in the next 10 days.
Others talking about this: